I'm a Backdrop and CiviCRM developer with demonstrated experience upgrading complex websites and porting needed modules from Drupal 7 to Backdrop. My work has allowed me to become deeply involved in the Backdrop community, with an extensive web of productive relationships. I see enormous potential in Backdrop to serve a large segment of the Drupal 7 market that is adverse to upgrading to newer versions of Drupal, while also appealing to organizations outside of the Drupal orbit. I have long been committed to the open source model, releasing code back to the community as much as possible to help grow the ecosystem. I find it rewarding to build high-quality websites for organizations working toward the common good.
- I have been a core committer for the Backdrop project since summer 2021.
- I have ported, created, and/or currently maintain >115 Backdrop modules, including Paragraphs, Entity Plus, Image Effects, Conditional Fields, Organic Groups, Content Access, XML Sitemap, and Rules.
- I have experience upgrading sites from Drupal 7 to Backdrop, migrating sites from Wordpress, and creating Backdrop sites from scratch.
- I have served as a presenter or discussion leader of three sessions at various Backdrop LIVE "unconferences" on the topics of Paragraphs, CiviCRM, and a case study.
Director of the CEDC Office (2012 - present); Senior Designer (2003 - 2012)
- Manage a small mission-driven team while serving as the primary web developer (and the only Backdrop/CiviCRM developer).
- Charted CEDC's course for web development, using and experimenting with a variety of systems before focusing on Backdrop and CiviCRM as a specialty.
- Oversee web projects from start to finish, including consultations with clients, scoping projects, wireframes, project management, theming, and development.
- Design work for both web and print using Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign primarily).
- Serve a wide variety of non-profit partners including WildAid, American Friends Service Committee, Catholic Mobilizing Network, Williams Syndrome Association, World Federation of United Nations Associations, Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns, and others.
- Dordt University, May 1998
B.A. (Graphic Design and Computer Science)